IRS Form 1722
What is IRS Form 1722?
If you’ve had a request for IRS letter 1722, you’ll soon realize that it doesn’t exist. So why are the Department of Homeland Security and the United States Customs and Immigration Service asking for it in conjunction with your US citizenship application? Because their forms are out of date, simple as that.
What do I need instead of the Form 1722?
The documents you really need to provide are your Tax Transcripts for the relevant years. These provide a record that you have filed tax returns for your income in the United States.
How do I get my IRS Form 1722?
There are a few ways in which you can satisfy the letter request, and print out those income tax returns:
- The fastest way to get your income tax returns (in place of the non-existent 1722) is to go directly to the IRS website and create an account and download them. You can then print them and take them with you.
- You can use the telephone service – the IRS has a free telephone service which you can call and request transcripts of your income tax returns – 1-800-908-9946. They will then mail you the paper returns. This takes less than two weeks typically.
- You can use the IRS Form 4506T – this allows you to order them
Things to Watch Out For When Ordering
- It’s free. You get them from the IRS directly, don’t pay anyone to get them for you. There is a fee to request your actual tax return (using form 4506). But, you only need the transcript – the edited highlights – and this is provided free of charge.
- It can take time to get the returns – if you’re in a hurry and can’t download them, take the 4506T form to the local IRS office.
- If you didn’t have to file income tax returns, still use these methods to prove that you were not required to do so.
- If you don’t have an account with the IRS, you need to have information ready to verify your identity, so that you can register to download transcripts. So you need to know your filing status and answer questions that a credit reporting agency would know.